Saturday, February 11

Babywearing Benefits

  I am a busy mother of two who is ALWAYS seen around my apartment complex, sons school, grocery store, anywhere I go as the girl who is always wearing her baby.I do get alot of stares when I am wearing both children at the same time and pushing a grocery cart. I hear things like " You've got your hands full, don't you?" or " Doesn't that hurt your back?" In-fact, most of the time people don't get a good glimpse of my son Alex because he is always in the Boba Carrier. Even my older son is worn on my back and he LOVES being in it by the way. I wouldn't say that three years ago I ever saw myself being a baby-wearing mother. In-fact, I didn't think to invest in different types of carriers, but instead invested in a good car seat and stroller system. I had also looked into jogging strollers while I was pregnant, but no baby carriers. At the time I was aware of the baby bjorn, and slings sold at babies r us. I truly had no idea there was a whole world of baby wearers and carriers out there.

 I live upstairs in my apartment complex, and have no storage. As you can imagine lugging my giant stroller, up and down the staircase along with a baby in tow was NOT convenient, fun, or enjoyable. In-fact, I dreaded going to the store. While I was home, I was restricted to days of nursing my baby all day on the couch, with no life outside the house. I wouldn't even clean the house because my baby would scream and cry if I put him down, he constantly needed to be held. When he was rapidly approaching 4 weeks old I said, "No more!!" I am getting off this couch and doing something today! I had been given a Mai-Tei carrier, and  lent a baby bjorn that was slowly beginning to collect dust in the closet. I decided to brake this bad boy out of the bag (Mai Tei), and give it a go! To my surprise this carrier helped me DEEP clean the house, bake a batch of cookies, re-clean the kitchen, workout, and do some laundry all in a few short hours with NO crying from my normally cranky baby. I was so impressed by this I googled everything there was to know about baby wearing and carriers, and my obsession with baby wearing begun!
First Baby, 3 months old- Cleaning in undies, feeling empowered!

Ive used many different types of carriers to date, and the bjorn as shown above is NOT what I would recommend to anyone. As I was new to baby wearing, I didn't realize the effects of wearing your baby facing forward can be bad  for the pelvis, so please do your research. Having baby in a facing-out position runs the risk of putting undue stress on baby's spine, which can lead to a medical condition called

Spondylolisthesis. Also baby shouldn't be worn in a framed carrier until they are able to sit 

up on there own (such as a ergo, Mai-Tei, Beco,etc) Newborns should be worn in a sling or wrap carrier for head support.

If you are thinking about what you will need for your new baby and what is truly convenient, invest in some different carriers. You are at home a lot more than you are out using a stroller. Also if you have pets  you will need something that is safe and sturdy if you need to walk your dogs with baby in tow. As tempting as it may be to get a jogging stroller, you can burn just as much if not MORE calories by wearing you baby and using your baby as a exercise tool to melt the mommy belly off. I accredit being able to shed the weight both times in such a short time due to wearing my baby so much.

Depending on your lifestyle and needs, you may need to use a stroller as well, but please believe me when I tell you that I have managed to only use my stroller a handful of times because the baby carrier is always a easier solution for me. I got rid of my big bulky stroller and downgraded to a simple umbrella stroller that I rarely use. I also have not had a need for a double stroller since I wear my baby all the time. Just suggestions, eat the meat and spit out the bones. Just friendly information for other moms out there looking for alternative solutions to meet there lifestyle and needs.

Attachment parenting is something I am a huge advocate for, and baby wearing goes hand in hand with that. I still hold and wear my 3 year old, and do not consider that a bad thing ESPECIALLY since he has sensory processing sensitivities and has special needs with his speech and motor skills. He needs the extra comfort and consoling.

What are some of the Benefits of Baby Wearing?


Baby Wearing is Convenient!-

Doing household chores, running to bank, going on a hike, you name it you are a FREE women with a baby carrier. If you have more than one child you also are free to run around with your children and not worry about pushing around a stroller. It makes for a easy and discreet way to nurse your baby hands free.

Wearing a Baby promotes Physical Development 

When a baby rides in a sling attached to his mother, he is in tune with the rhythm of her breathing, the sound of her heartbeat, and the movements his mother makes – walking, bending, and reaching. This stimulation helps him to regulate his own physical responses, and exercises his vestibular system, which controls balance. The sling is in essence a "transitional womb" for the new baby, who has not yet learned to control his bodily functions and movements. Research has shown that premature babies who are touched and held gain weight faster and are healthier than babies who are not. Mechanical swings and other holding devices do not provide these same benefits.



Babies worn in slings are happier
Even though I have very dramatic babies, they certainly are happy!  Studies have shown that the more babies are held, the less they cry and fuss2. In indigenous cultures where baby-wearing is the norm, babies often cry for only a few minutes a day – in contrast to Western babies, who often cry for hours each day. Crying is exhausting for both the baby and his parents, and may cause long-term damage as the baby's developing brain is continually flooded with stress hormones.Babies who do not need to spend their energy on crying are calmly observing and actively learning about their environment. Baby-wearing is especially useful for colicky babies, who are far happier being worn, but placid, content babies and children will also benefit greatly from the warmth and security of being held close.





 Baby-wearing is healthy for you!

It is a challenge for new mothers to find the time to exercise. With the demands of your new baby, and possibly other children the day is gone before you know it. Baby wearing helps you get in the best possible work out you can. Your baby becomes like a weighted vest. Instead of trying to head to the gym or jogging, try to walk up hill while wearing your baby for a more effective workout, or do lunges while wearing your baby or toddler! The possibilities are endless, you can do push ups, pulls, and many other exercises from the comfort of your home while wearing your baby. You can also go on family hikes every weekend, and implement those healthy fundamentals into your family traditions without worrying about needing a stroller. I had to fit into a size zero bridesmaid dress three months post baby! I was terrified about fitting into the very form fitting dress, but to my surprise by the time it fit like a glove the day of my Aunts wedding. This was just by using my baby as a fitness tool, baby wearing! It works!






 Toddlers appreciate the security of the sling.Slings are usually associated with infants, but they can be very useful for toddlers as well; most slings accommodate children up to 35 or 40 pounds. The world can be a scary place for toddlers, who feel more confident when they can retreat to the security of the sling when they need to do so. Toddlers often become over-stimulated, and a ride in the sling helps to soothe and comfort them before (or after!) a "melt-down" occurs. It can be very helpful in places like the zoo, aquarium, or museum, where a small child in a stroller would miss many of the exhibits. My 3 year old is a testimony to that! See for yourself!



Baby-wearing helps you and your baby to communicate with each other.
The more confidence we have in our parenting, the more we can relax and enjoy our children. A large part of feeling confident as a parent is the ability to read our baby's cues successfully. When we hold our baby close in a sling, we become finely attuned to his gestures and facial expressions. Many baby-wearing parents report that they have never learned to distinguish their baby's cries – because their babies are able to communicate effectively without crying! Every time a baby is able to let us know that she is hungry, bored or wet without having to cry, her trust in us is increased, her learning is enhanced, and our own confidence is reinforced. This cycle of positive interaction enhances the mutual attachment between parent and child, and makes life more enjoyable for everyone.

Slings are a bonding tool for fathers, grandparents, and other caregivers.
Slings are a useful tool for every adult in a baby's life. It makes me smile when I see a new father going for a walk with his baby in a sling. The baby is becoming used to his voice, heartbeat, movements and facial expressions, and the two are forging a strong attachment of their own. Fathers don't have the automatic head-start on bonding that comes with gestation, but that doesn't mean they can't make up for this once their baby is born. The same goes for babysitters, grandparents and all other caregivers. Cuddling up close in the sling is a wonderful way to get to know the baby in your life, and for the baby to get to know you!


Slings are a safe place for a child to be.
Instead of running loose in crowded or dangerous places, a child in a sling is held safe and secure right next to your body. Slings also provide emotional safety when needed, so that children can venture into the world and become independent at their own pace.


Slings are economical.Slings cost far less than strollers, front-carriers or backpacks. Many mothers consider the sling to be one of their most useful and economical possessions. Inexpensive used slings can be found in consignment and thrift stores, and new ones can be bought for about $25 -$50 (U.S.) - not bad for an item many parents use daily for two years or more! A sling can also be sewn for the price of a length of cotton, some rings and batting; sling patterns are available.

Baby-wearing is fun.
Who doesn't love to cuddle a precious little baby? And when your baby is older, having her in the sling makes conversations easier and allows you to observe her reactions to the wonders of the world around her. It's also fun for baby, because when she is up at eye level, other adults notice and interact with her more. Your child will feel more a part of your life when she is in her sling, and you will find yourself becoming more and more enchanted with this special little person.





1 comment:

The Dainty Dolls House said...

I've never used any of these and sometimes I wish I had, as my youngest hasn't always enjoyed sitting in her seater while I do things, she is better now, but I could have done with a sling. And when I've had to go to the dentist or my older daughter's school, a stroller hasn't been ideal as there are too many stairs and narrow ways to get through, so I've had to carry my youngest which wasn't too easy. I like all these tips and things and I may get something to carry my youngest around in now while she hasn't learned to walk yet, just to make it a bit more easier on me. Gorgeous photos!! xx